Last month, I joined the #MacAVAF weekend in Cebu (which was my birthday weekend too!) When I received the invite of this 3-day event, I did not hesitate to spend my birthday with M.A.C. I know M.A.C. When they launch something, it’s always grand and FUN – I couldn’t dare miss it! So, what’s #MacAVAF? Well, I’ll be sharing more about that in my next post. For now, let me share what happened on the first day!
In the world of beauty, there’s always something new to learn. No matter how good you are in applying makeup, you can always learn various techniques from different people/artists/brands. Therefore, whenever I get a chance to sit in a makeup class, I go for it – and yes, I’m always excited!
Here’s our classroom set-up! Who won’t get excited with this?!
We were first asked to download the M.A.C Technique app on our mobile phones. Yup, M.A.C now has an interactive app, which guided us throughout the makeup lesson that day! How cool is that?! I’ll be expounding more about this app towards the end of the post. For now, let me share with you the step by step demo on how to create the Styled Eye look and the tips and tricks that I learned during the class!
1. Hydrating Skincare
First step is to clean and hydrate the face. This is a very important step that a lot of women take for granted. Preparing the skin is as important as the makeup application itself. This will help the makeup look great throughout the day.
- Use M.A.C wipes to swipe away makeup and dirt quickly.
- To clean the sensitive eye area, there’s Pro Eye Makeup Remover – a lightweight, non-oily cleanser that needs no rinsing and removes without irritation.
- After cleansing, time to hydrate – even if you have oily skin! It’s a way to keep your makeup intact and last longer. She used Mineralized Charged Water, which is a blend of Mineralize Charged Water and diamond powder that instantly hydrates and energizes skin.
- Next is the Softening Lotion to leave the skin supple and to prepare the skin for all the products to be used after.
- For the eyes, there’s the Fast Response Eye Cream, a caffeinated cream that de-puffs, firms and erases dark circles and fine lines.
- Then, apply Mineralize Charged Water Face and Body Lotion, an over-all lotion that traps water to keep skin hydrated throughout the day.
- Lastly, generously apply Lip Conditioner.
2. Natural Matte Foundation
Next is to work on the base The current trend is beautiful glowing skin, so forget the thick ultra-matte finish!
- For that glowing skin finish, use M.A.C Studio Waterweight Foundation, which is my current favorite from M.A.C’s foundation line. You can read my full review here: http://lushangel.com/2016/03/21/mac-studio-waterweight-foundation-spf-30-review/
- In applying the foundation, do the stippling technique using 187 brush. Afterwards, use the 191 square foundation brush to even out skin tone.
- For a sheer finish, she suggests using Prep + Prime Highlighter as concealer. I never thought of doing this!
- Set everything using Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder and 150 brush for buffing.
3. Softly Contoured Cheek
- To contour, she used 168 brush to apply Pro Longwear Pressed Powder, which is 2-3 shades darker than the skin tone.
- To guide you in contouring, apply on the hallows of the cheeks. The end of the eye is where the contour should end.
- Apply highlighter on the high points of the face.
- Apply a soft pink sheertone blush gently on the apples of the cheek.
4. Soft Smoky Eye
Doing the eye makeup is probably the hardest for most women. Here’s a guide on how to create soft smoky eye, which is wearable day and night.
- Apply Prep + Prime 24-Hour Extend Eye Base to prolong the eye makeup.
- During the demo, she first applied a cream eye shadow in Hush and used 217 brush (my all-time favorite blending brush!!!) to diffuse the color.
- Using M.A.C 239 brush, apply a light eye shadow all over the lids. She used Rice Paper.
- Next, use a darker shade of eye shadow on the crease to create the contour. She used Wedge.
- Lastly, use the darkest color on the outer-v or outer corner of the eye. Blend through the lower lashes for subtle smokiness.
- Now, define the eyes using Pro Longwear Fluidline in BlackTrack.
- Then, curl and apply mascara!
- Use a brown coloured veluxe brow liner to lightly define and sculpt the brows.
5. Natural Glossy Lip
- Pat tissue on the lips to remove any excess oil from the lip conditioner applied earlier.
- Apply lip pencil as overall lip color.
- Use 318 retractable lip brush to apply a shiny sheer lipstick over the entire lip or you can just opt to use a gloss on top.
And that’s it! We also created our own Styled Eye look as she did the demo step by step! Here’s my final look!
M.A.C Technique App
You might wonder, how was I able to remember all those details – from specific products used, down to the shades and makeup brushes! Well, I must say this app is a genius!!!
Honestly, I never thought an app would be so useful in the world of makeup! And you can indeed master your makeup skills with the help of the M.A.C Technique App. It’s an interactive app, which works in tandem with M.A.C Technique workshops – just like what I attended.
First, search for a class in your location and enter the code (which will be given during the class).
You’ll then see a face chart. When you click on the + signs, tips on how to achieve the look is revealed at the bottom.
When you click on notes, you’ll see the outline of the makeup lesson for the day. What’s great about it is that you can write notes on each topic!
For example, for Natural Matte Foundation, while the makeup artist was doing the demo, I noted my favorite products and tips for this particular topic. Oh, and you can even take photos of products to remind you! When done, just hit on Finish and everything’s saved on your library! I can always go back on these tips to remind me how to recreate the look – which is just what I did to write this post! Haha! AHH-MAZING!!!
Then, if I click on Products, I can see all the products I noted for this particular course.
The M.A.C Technique App is very user-friendly and I’m pretty sure makeup enthusiasts would love this!
Before the class ended, the team revealed to us several makeup collections that will be launched this year! OOOOHHH… I TELL YAH, THEY ARE ALL WORTH THE WAIT! It’s an exciting year for M.A.C! I can’t reveal them yet, but here’s one since they already launched it last Friday! I’ll be posting more photos of M.A.C It’s A Strike collection soon, but for now, they are already available in stores! Rush because most of the products are limited edition and the powder highlighter is a bomb!!! 😀
You can download the M.A.C Technique App from Google Play or iTunes.