Just last week I had the chance to meet Carmen Pretorius, the gorgeous lady who plays the role of Maria Augusta von Trapp in The Sound of Music London West End production. Ahhh… I was ecstatic to see her (and stand beside her)! Before watching the play at Solaire Theatre, MAC Cosmetics held a makeup demo on how to cop Maria’s natural glowing makeup look.
This is Maria’s look on stage translated to everyday makeup. What’s great about this look is that it is very versatile — wearable for all ages. And in case you haven’t noticed, this is exactly my look almost everyday – natural with healthy glowing skin, therefore I didn’t dare miss the tutorial. I’m also sharing with you the tips I learned on how to create this look below.
Ryan Wong, MAC makeup artist, did the demo. Here are the steps on how he created Maria’s Natural Glowing Makeup:
- First, he used MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation. He used NC20 mixed with NW20 for Maria’s skin tone. He used MAC 159 brush to apply all over the face. This brush is a must-have since it gives a flawless finish and is a very versatile brush — can be used on powder, liquid, or cream.
- Next, he applied concealer. He used the new MAC Studio Conceal and Correct Palette, which is finally available here in the Philippines! It is a cream concealer with full coverage so a little goes a long way. The way to apply it is to tap the concealer gently using your ring finger or brush and blend.
- Then, Ryan set everything using MAC Next To Nothing Powder. And of course, don’t forget to set the under eye are to avoid creasing. He used MAC 224 brush to do this.
- For the eyes, he first applied MAC Prep + Prime 24-Hour Extend Eye Base. He just used one shade of eye shadow, a peachy brown shade, which is perfect for an everyday look. Using a 217 brush, dap the brush on the lid then gently blend upwards. I really swear by this 217 brush! If you can only have one eye shadow brush, you need to get this. No matter how bad you are in blending, 217 can make you look like a pro.
- To define the eyes, use an eyeliner then smudge to soften the look.
- For a dewy look, use a blush and a highlighter.
- For the lips, use Prep + Prime Lip to minimize creasing or feathering. Ryan then applied lip pencil all over the lips in Boldly Bare shade and topped it with shade MMMMMM lipstick from the Nicki Minaj line. To add dimension, he applied Lipglass in Beaux from the Nicki Minaj line too.
- Lastly, spray with Prep + Prime Fix+. This is probably my most neglected product and I just learned the beauty of it recently. All this time, I thought it is a product to keep the makeup in place all throughout the day. I was wrong! It’s a product to keep the makeup fresh. It can even be used like a “touch up” if you don’t want to use more powder. You know the feeling when you badly need to retouch but you don’t want to add more powder on your face? This usually happens when you had your makeup on from day to night and you retouched a few times. The answer? Just spray on Prep + Prime Fix+ and you’re good to go! WHY DID I DISCOVER YOU JUST NOW?! I’m such a late bloomer! LOL!
And that’s Maria’s Natural Glowing Makeup for your everyday look!
Of course, I couldn’t leave without trying on the lip products used on Maria. It’s a perfect everyday lip color — Boldly Bare Lip Pencil and MMMMMM lipstick from the Nicki Minaj line.
This is how it looks on my lips! I love it!!!
Right after, I, together with the MAC team, headed to Solaire to watch The Sound of Music. My oh my, it was sooo beautiful! It was a trip down memory lane. Congratulations to the entire cast! If you haven’t watched it, you must. They are here until October 22, 2017!
Big thanks to MAC Cosmetics Philippines!
Hi Lesley, Sarah (@carlos.sarah), Ashley (@ashleysandrine), and Nicole!
To get instant updates and makeup tips from MAC Cosmetics, follow them on Instagram @MACcosmeticsPH