If you’re following me on Snapchat and Instagram (@lush_angel), you probably saw me and my fellow beauty girls, Shari of themistymom.com and Nicole of beautyandsparkle.com, went a little crazy when we had the chance to try the much-talked about Kylie Lip Kit by Kylie Jenner. For those who are not familiar, the Kylie Lip Kit includes a matte liquid lipstick and a matching pencil lip liner. To be honest, I’m not really into matte lipsticks because I have very dry lips to begin with. And let’s face it, matte lipstick, although it looks very pretty, can be drying – which does not look luscious at all on chapped lips. But with all the hype of the Kylie Matte Liquid Lipstick, I can’t help it. I had to try it when I had the chance. I’ve always wondered why is it always sold out even if they restock every week. What’s the hype all about? Finally, I’ve got answers! Read on my Kylie Kylie Lip Kit by Kylie Jenner Review below.
Kylie Matte Liquid Lipstick in True Brown K
Kylie Lip Kit Product Information
The #KylieLipKit is your secret weapon to create the perfect ‘Kylie Lip.’ Each Lip Kit comes with a Matte Liquid Lipstick and matching Lip Liner.
This ultra-long wearing lip liner has a creamy texture that glides across the lips for a very easy and comfortable application. The Lip Liner sharpens easily in most standard sized sharpeners – just make sure your sharpener is not dull!
The Liquid Matte Lipstick has high intensity pigment for an instant bold matte lip. The extremely long wearing lipstick contains moisturizing ingredients for a comfortable, emollient and silky feel that does not dry your lips out.
I love Kylie Lip Kit because…
- color payoff is excellent for both the pencil and the matte liquid lipstick.
- the pencil lip liner glides smoothly on the lips.
- the liquid lipstick starts off really wet and dries matte in just seconds.
- the colors look great on most skin tones. I initially thought they can only be pulled off by the Kylie Jenner. My favorites are Koko K, Candy K, Dolce K, and True Brown K. (See swatches below)
- the colors are picture-perfect!
- the color stays on the lips – as long as I don’t drink or eat.
I wish Kylie Lip Kit…
- is not drying. Just like most matte lipsticks, it’s really drying. My lips started to flake after 2 hours from the time I applied.
- is more comfortable on the lips. Although some like the formula of the liquid lipstick, I’m not a fan. It feels like there’s paper on top of my lips.
- fades nicely. The moment I drank water, I was left with a dark brown outline on my lips. Since I was having dinner and I didn’t have that shade of lipstick with me, I had no choice but to rub my lips with tissue to completely remove the lip color – ouch! Although I think the fading wouldn’t look that bad for the lighter shades.
Sorry, I took this photo using my snapchat – which explains the quality!
- comes in more shades. Currently, it has 8 shades. (See swatches below)
- is always available. Unfortunately, it’s always out of stock.
Tips on Kylie Lip Kit
- Use a good makeup remover (I prefer oil-based) to completely take off the product on your lips.
- Apply lip balm midday to blend and soften the edges. This will also help moisturize your lips when they start to feel dry.
- If you want to add dimension, apply gloss on top.
- The lip liner can help make the lipstick last longer.
- When retouching, I prefer removing the lipstick completely before reapplying, especially if you have dry lips. In my case, my lips started to flake after 2 hours, therefore simply layering would look bad and cakey.
Kylie Lip Kit Verdict
I would normally say no to a matte lipstick because of my lip condition. I’m (almost) always after comfort no matter how gorgeous the lip color is. It’s just not practical for me to use. But admittedly, I still buy matte lippies, which I don’t think I get to use more than 10 times! When I tried Kylie Lip Kit in True Brown K though, I wished I could bring it home that very moment (It’s owned by a friend, by the way!) It’s the darkest lip color I’ve ever tried and I was surprised how much I liked it on me – especially because I was all glammed up that day. I would admit though that it’s not something I would wear often since I feel it’s a little uncomfortable on my lips. It’s more of a special-occasion-kind-of-lippie for me, wherein I only need to wear for a few hours. I would also make sure I have the time to retouch and reapply if I’m going to use the Kylie Lip Kit. I’m sure most ladies would understand the feeling when you know very well you won’t use it everyday, yet you just got to have it for special moments! So yes, I would still buy – especially if it’s Dolce K or True Brown K.
But for those who love or are used to wearing matte lipsticks, I think you will love the Kylie Lip Kit. A lot of women who have tried it say it’s drying, but more moisturizing compared to other brands.
from left to right: Candy K (soft warm nude), Dolce K (medium beige nude), Koko K (pale pinky nude), 22 (vibrant burnt orange), Mary Jo K (true blue red), and True Brown K (deep chocolate brown).
We weren’t able to try Kourt K (deep purple) and Poise K (dusty, mauve pink).
Sorry, my swatches came from my snapchat again that’s why the quality of photo is so bad! But thanks to Nicole for doing the swatches! 😀
Kylie Lip Kit by Kylie Jenner is available at kyliecosmetics.com for USD $29. In the Philippines, you can get it through online re-sellers. I tried ordering my Kylie Gloss (reviewing this soon!) through @duckfaceph and I’m happy how the transaction went and with their service too! They sell the Kylie Lip Kit for Php 2,300 and Lip Gloss for Php 1,250.