If there is one Filipina celebrity who can go live on television even without makeup, it’s gotta be Anne Curtis! I’ve seen her several times in her show with just lipstick on and damn, she can rock it! This why she believes that beauty should be uncomplicated. And this is what Anne Curtis’ makeup line, BLK Cosmetics, is all about.
What is BLK?
It simply stands for the color black, something timeless, elegant and uncomplicated, which is what Anne and her business partner, Jacqe Yuengtian Gutierrez, wanted their brand to be. BLK aims to stand out by going back to basics. Their goal is to keep things simple, plus, it has an official cruelty-free certification from PETA.
The ultimate goal of BLK Cosmetics is to simplify your makeup routine with no-frills, quality cosmetics. This also explains the small collection – two face powders, two contour, blush & highlight palettes, two brow sculpting pencil duo, and two eyeliners. Anne, being known for her lip colors, decided to have a bigger selection of lipsticks – total of 15 shades in 3 formulas.
Let me just share all the BLK Cosmetics Products. My in-depth review of the All-Day Matte Powder Foundation is further down this post.
BLK Contour, Blush & Highlighting Palette
This is a three-step face palette with expertly coordinated shades to flatter every complexion: a matte contour, an iridescent blush, and a champagne highlighter. It’s also infused with Vitamin E to keep skin young-looking. It comes in 2 shades — Flushed and Sun-kissed. Both palettes have the same shades of contour and highlighting powders. The only difference is the blush — Flushed has rose blush while Sun-kissed has peach blush.
BLK Long-lasting Liquid Eyeliner
It is their smudge-proof, foolproof liquid eyeliner that glides like velvet, delivering intense pigment that lasts all day while also soothing your lids’ delicate skin with aloe vera. It comes in 2 shades: Black and Brown.
BLK Brow Sculpting Pencil Duo
Define, fill in, and groom brows in place with this pencil-and-brush duo. The triangle tip has a pointed end to create thin lines and a flat tip for thicker strokes, while the creamy pencil is infused with aloe vera to gently condition your strands. Apply lightly for a natural look or heavily for a full brow. It comes in 2 shades: Natural Brown (light) and Taupe (dark).
BLK Long-lasting Liquid Matte Lipstick
BLK Long-lasting Liquid Matte Lipstick promises intense color payoff, long-lasting and non-drying formula. It contains hydrating Vitamin E and softening rosehip seed oil. It comes in 5 shades: Bold (brown red), Brazen (true red), Sophisticated (nude pink), Sassy (dusty rose), Simple (nude).
BLK All-Day Intense Matte Lipstick
Bold enough for a true matte finish? This zero sheen finish promises a non-drying, all-day wear, enriched with Vitamin E and camellia oil. It comes in 6 shades: Fearless (wine), Brave (bold red), Bubbly (rosy pink), Chic (deep nude), Charming (nude pink), Elegant (peachy nude).
BLK Velvet Lip Cream
If you are not into matte lip product, BLK also offers extra hydrating velvet lip cream, a smooth satin finish. It has Vitamin E and camellia oil. It comes in 4 shades: Alluring (berry red), Flirty (coral pink), Classy (pinkish nude), Refined (peachy nude).
BLK All-Day Matte Powder Foundation Review
Skin is in. Want to always be photo-ready? Powder up with this compact foundation that has ultra fine pigments for seamless, buildable coverage—go medium or full, it’s up to you. The result is a fresh, soft matte finish –a gorgeously even complexion that looks like real skin, perfect for that awesome selfie.
I love BLK All-Day Matte Powder Foundation because…
- it is affordable at PHP 399.
- it has SPF 15 and vitamin E that has anti-aging benefits.
- it has buildable coverage from medium to full. This can be a con to those who want the natural look.
- it has finely milled pigments that blends easily onto the skin.
- I do not need concealer even for the under eye area. It can cover light to medium discoloration.
I wish BLK All-Day Matte Powder Foundation…
- does not have the tendency to cake. See tips below on how to avoid this.
- does not have the tendency to settle in between lines, pores and creases.
- has slimmer compact. It’s a little bulky. But I appreciate that the sponge has a different compartment for sanitation purposes.
- it is available in more shades. It comes in light beige and natural beige. I have the natural beige and it magically blends well on my light skin tone. It might be a little too light for those with darker skin tones though.
- can work on all skin types. Powder can settle on dry areas.
Tips on BLK All-Day Matte Powder Foundation
- Before applying BLK All-Day Matte Powder Foundation, make sure all skin care products used have been fully absorbed by the skin. Any oily residue can cause the powder to cake. Therefore, if you’re using the powder to retouch, it is also better to use an oil blotting sheet first.
- For medium coverage, use a fluffy brush. On the other hand, use the sponge for heavy coverage.
- For dark under eye circles or blemishes, use concealer first before gently patting or dusting with BLK All-Day Matte Powder Foundation.
- If you prefer the not-so powdery look or the natural look, apply the powder on the center of your face, that is the cheeks and nose, then blend outwards.
BLK All-Day Matte Powder Foundation Verdict
To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of matte foundation as it has the tendency to look very powdery. BLK All-Day Matte Powder Foundation can be a little too heavy and powdery for my taste when applied in full coverage. It’s actually great on photos but it can look quite thick in person. As a tip, I concentrate more on areas that need more coverage, such as the center, and blend outwards for the rest of my face. This way, it looks more natural. I also refrain from applying too much as I noticed this is when it tends to cake.
BUT I appreciate it a lot as a retouch powder! How? You know how stressed or haggard you can look when you are out all day and your makeup seems non-existent by late afternoon? BLK All-Day Matte Powder Foundation always comes to my rescue! Without the need to retouch my concealer, I just apply the powder all over my face using the sponge that comes with the compact and I instantly look fresh! Note though that I can only do it if I have light makeup underneath or else it might result to very heavy makeup.
In the photo above, I was out since morning for brunch that day. By 4:00pm, my under eye bags decided to make an appearance. I looked stressed. I just used BLK All-Day Matte Powder Foundation all over my face and viola! My face instantly looked bright and photo-ready.
I recommend BLK All-Day Matte Powder Foundation to those with normal to oily skin and to those who like the heavy powdery look. Those with dry and rough skin might find it cakey. Oh, and if you’re wondering if you’ll stay all-day matte, in my case, I started to oil up after 2-3 hours.
used BLK Brow Sculpting Pencil Duo in Natural Brown, BLK Contour, Blush & Highlighting in Sun-kissed, BLK Foundation in Natural Beige, BLK Long-lasting Liquid Eyeliner in Black, BLK Liquid Matte Lipstick in Sophisticated
BLK Cosmetics is available in SM Store Beauty Section and selected Watsons. You can also buy online blkcosmetics.com.ph