If you’re a 90’s baby, you probably used a click-pen in school at least once in your lifetime. I remember how most of us loved switching our pens from black to red to blue to green to purple until our teachers get distracted with the sound of the clicks. Oh… those were the days! Haha! Now, Benefit Cosmetics is resurrecting this pen, but this time making it a multi-purpose brow pen—4 must-have products to have perfect brows all in one tool. Genius, huh? Is it a YAY or a NAY? Is it just all about the unique packaging? Or should it be part of your makeup kit? Here’s my full review of Benefit Brow Contour Pro.
Benefit Brow Contour Pro Product Information
Define & highlight your brows with this 4-in-1 contour pencil. Our multi-tasking brow pencil features a lighter brow shade, deeper brow shade, edge definer and arch highlighter to create clean, shaped brows with depth & dimension. Turn shapeless, flat brows into defined, contoured brows in an instant.
Pros: Benefit Brow Contour Pro
- It is a 4-in-1 pen that has a dark shade, light shade, concealer (definer), and highlighter. I don’t need to bring 4 products just to perfect my brows!
- It’s very easy to create perfect pro-like brows.
- It comes in 5 shades (4 here in the Philippines – no blonde)
- It has blendable formula – similar to ka-BROW! cream-gel formula but this one is in pencil form.
- The pomade-like consistency does not clump my brow strands.
- It’s long-wearing and waterproof.
- It’s foolproof! Even if you’re just starting to learn the art of brow makeup, you can easily use it!
- The brow products are very pigmented. I can fill in my brows in just a few strokes with a light hand!
Cons: Benefit Brow Contour Pro
- It is not refillable. I wish they were since I’m quite sure I won’t able to finish the 4 shades all at the same time. It would have been more eco-friendly too.
- If you owned a similar click pen in school, you probably experienced one of the colors getting stuck while switching to another color. It already happened to me on my Brow Contour Pro but I’m glad that the stuck tab eventually got released after a few tries.
- You base your shade on the concealer/definer, which can be limiting for others. For example, if you’re a shade 4 because of the concealer, you’ll automatically get a dark shade for your brows even if you prefer a lighter shade. See tips below how to deal with this.
- The consistency is meant to be blended so it is important to have a brow spoolie within reach when using Brow Contour Pro.
Tips on Benefit Brow Contour Pro
- Press down darker shade tab and twist until you see product. Use this to fill in your brow from the arch to the end.
- To switch shades, just press down tab of selected shade until it clicks in place.
- Next, fill in brow with the lighter shade from start until the arch.
- Blend the 2 brow shades together using a spoolie.
- Use the definer to clean your brow—above: clean from arch to end; below: clean from start until the arch. Blend gently.
- Apply the highlighter on your brow bone and blend outward.
- If you find the brow shade too dark, you can tone down the color by using a lighter shade of brow mascara.
- Remember to create the strokes with light hand as the products are very pigmented.
Benefit Brow Contour Pro Verdict
Although I listed some cons, I’d still repurchase this Brow Contour Pro and make it one of my permanent brow products. It’s perfect for my travels or whenever I do my makeup in the car (which is 90% of the time!) since I don’t have to bring different brow products just to have perfect arches. Also, I used to take a lot of time blending and getting that ombre-like or multi-dimensional brows. I’ve always wanted the Kim K. brows—light at the inner corner then goes darker and defined from the arch to the tail. And to be honest, it frustrates me because on some days, I just cannot do it no matter how much I blend. Now, I can do that in a minute! It’s that easy as the consistency is very blendable.
It’s not for you though if you’re a one-step kind of gal. If you just want to use one brow product, you can try my fave Goof Proof Eyebrow Pencil or Brow Zings.
I’d recommend this to those who’ve been wanting to achieve that well defined multi-dimensional brows. I promise, this wonder pen will make your life easier!
left: Shade 2; right: Shade 4; top-bottom: darker shade, lighter shade, highlighter, definer
when highlighter and definer is blended
shade 2 (Brown Light) on my brows
makeup used for this look (all from Benefit Cosmetics):
Eyes and Brows
Hoola Light (lids)
They’re Real Tinted Primer and Roller Lash
Brow Contour Pro
Dandellion and Galifornia
Gold Rush (highlighter)
Hoola Light (contour)
Boi-ing Airbrush Concealer (used as a light foundation)
PunchPop in Pink Berry
Benefit Brow Contour Pro is available in all Benefit counters and is priced at PHP 2,100 here in the Philippines.