MAKE UP FOR EVER recently launched the new Matte Velvet Skin Blurring Powder Foundation. From the name itself, it is matte and it promises 12-hour wear. But is it just for those with oily skin? How’s the coverage? Read on my full review of MAKE UP FOR EVER Matte Velvet Skin Blurring Powder Foundation below.
at the launch of the new Matte Velvet Skin Blurring Powder Foundation (you’ll see what Nikki and I are doing in this photo towards the end of this post)
MAKE UP FOR EVER Matte Velvet Skin Blurring Powder Foundation Product Information
MATTE VELVET SKIN BLURRING POWDER FOUNDATION is the next-generation* everyday high coverage powder foundation that blurs imperfections and shine, leaving your complexion looking smooth and flawless. Thanks to its FLEXI-FIT PUZZLE complex innovation – its flexible texture moves with the skin for a breathable flawless – never-chalky – result. This foundation is also water-resistant for a long-lasting matte look.
Pros: MAKE UP FOR EVER Matte Velvet Skin Blurring Powder Foundation
- It has nice, durable tin can compact with huge mirror.
- It comes with a double-sided sponge— white side for light coverage and black side for full coverage.
- It is water-resistant and can withstand sweat and humidity.
- It has buildable medium to heavy coverage. It can cover light to medium colored blemishes, redness and under eye circles. I like that I can skip concealer and still look fresh.
- It doesn’t settle in between lines– even lines around the eyes. It does not cake even when worn the entire day.
- It has matte finish, but it does not look cakey or like a thick mask. Skin looks fresh and has slight radiance to it.
- When used for touch-up, skin looks instantly refreshed.
- It can be used for all skin types. Even those with dry skin, can use this powder foundation as it does not enhance dry skin.
- It comes in 30 shades (15 here in the Philippines, as of now). I’m shade Y245.
Cons: MAKE UP FOR EVER Matte Velvet Skin Blurring Powder Foundation
- It could be quite pricey for some at PHP 2,700.
Tips on MAKE UP FOR EVER Matte Velvet Skin Blurring Powder Foundation
- Use the black side of the sponge for high coverage or the white side of the sponge for a soft veil of powder or for touch-ups.
- MAKE UP FOR EVER suggests to use the Cross Motions Technique: Using the sponge, apply by drawing a line on each side of your nose, on your forehead and chin, starting from the center of your face. Then, blend out.
- Personally, I still like to apply foundation from the center of my face and blend it outwards.
- If you wish to apply concealer, do so before the powder foundation.
MAKE UP FOR EVER Matte Velvet Skin Blurring Powder Foundation Verdict
Honestly, I did not have high hopes on this powder foundation when I first heard about it. I’ve used MAKE UP FOR EVER Mat Velvet+ Matifying liquid foundation before and I find it too thick and matte for my taste. I was surprised when I first used this Matte Velvet Skin Blurring Powder Foundation. It’s matte but still looks like skin. It can blur out imperfections without putting so much effort on the application. It’s LIKE LIQUID foundation but in POWDER FORM! Best of all, it’s water-resistant and can withstand humidity (see our quick lab test on this below) Despite having combination to oily skin, I can go through my day without retouching– for as long as I stay indoors and I don’t do any strenuous activity. If I go outdoors, I don’t need to touch-up the foundation as often– just once or twice the entire day on my t-zone. I brought it with me in my recent trip to Australia and despite the cool weather, my face looked flawless the entire day– no cracking or caking!
Just a quick story. I went to the salon with zero makeup and just when I was about to finish my hair color, my friend wanted to have dinner. I looked in my purse and I only have this powder foundation and a lipstick. I’d rather have a concealer or a liquid foundation so I could spot correct. Anyway, I had no choice but use whatever I had in my purse. I was sooo surprised how my blemishes, redness around my nose, and dark circles disappeared without any concealer! (I applied 2-3 layers on problem areas and there was no caking the entire night.) Then, I just used my lipstick as blush and lip color! And viola…
This is when I realized that it’s now one of my fave powder foundations to date and it is definitely worth the splurge!
I recommend MAKE UP FOR EVER Matte Velvet Skin Blurring Powder Foundation to those looking for a powder that has a coverage like liquid foundation, without looking like a mask.
Here’s a quick look of the coverage. Notice the color of the veins at the back of my hand and see the coverage of this foundation in just ONE layer. For heavier coverage, you can always add more layers if you wish– and surprisingly, it still won’t cake!
Looks like I applied liquid foundation here, but I just used the black side of the sponge to apply MAKE UP FOR EVER Matte Velvet Skin Blurring Powder Foundation.
During the launch, we tested how water-resistant the powder is. We were asked to scrape some of the powder and put it in a test tube with water. Then, we mixed the test tube. Result? The powder remained dry! Some parts got wet but the powder dried quickly and blended like a dream at the back of my hand. Amazing!!!